Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Carry It Forward: The Angels

Last week in class, we read and analyzed "The Angels" by John Updike. Updike's poem speaks to me in a variety of ways. I am truly fascinated with its meaning and by the truth of his words.

Upon taking the poem home and analyzinFont sizeg it alone, I only took from it that it was an ode to past composers, artists, and writers. Although this is partly correct, there is so much more that the poem has to offer!
When we discussed the poem in class, I realized its true meaning. We pointed out Updike's usage of phrases like "plane of silent compromise" compared to "realm above." The Angels, being the composers, artists, and writers, are part of the "realm above us. However, we dwell on the dull "plane of silent compromise." Updike reveals that their work is hidden everywhere, we only must look for it.
Updike brings up an ugly truth: Sometimes, life can be dull and boring and downright uninteresting. However, there is a solution to bringing the color back into one's life. The Angels: Mozart, Matisse, Shakespeare, etc. are one's salvation in times of a black and white life. One must pay attention to the art that is clearly all around them. When life gets to be too dull, too tired, one can always enhance it with a dose of music, art, or literature.

So, now that I've been enlightened with this excellent belief, I'm all too excited to use it in my day-to-day life. As hard as it is to believe, my life does get very boring at times. I mean, homework, studying, filling out college applications, working... eh, not always fun. In fact, sometimes I get so bored that I turn into a terrible person. I become agitated and don't know how to relax. However, now that I read "The Angels" I'll make an effort to devote more of my time to music, art, and reading. I can see now how this will effect me.

I know from past experiences that these three things have the ability to effect my mood and therefore my outlook on life. I know that listening to a great song or looking at a colorful drawing in times of utter boredom will uplift my mood.
From now on, I'm going to try to color my life with more books, music, and artwork so that I'm able to live more thoroughly and happily.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Marlee

    I agreed with you when you said, "...I only took from it that it was an ode to past composers, artists, and writers. Although this is partly correct, there is so much more that the poem has to offer!". When I was reading it by myself, honestly, I did not know what other meanings there were but to honor the past great artists and people from this time period should follow their examples of humanity.It was true when you said there was so much to the poem that you have not realized when reading by yourself. We both learned the true meanings that the author was trying to get across after the group discussion. And I think that's the point of the group discussions; we could achieve different level of understanding and thoughts by listening to the teachers or classmates. Oh, I also really liked that you decided to put some time to enjoy the arts, music and literatur to make your life "colorful". It really is hard, with all the college apps and piles of homeworks, but have fun, and good luck!

    -Lana

    ReplyDelete