Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Change of Mind: Descartes

After reading about Descartes in Sophie's World, I see reasoning, God, and reality in a new way.

Before learning about Descartes, I never questioned reasoning. I didn't question the environment surrounding me... I always thought it was just there. However, Descartes was full of doubt, never sure of what was real and what wasn't. Through this thought process, he came to comprehend that he was really alive. Gaarder explains, "When he doubted, he had to be thinking, and because he was thinking, it had to be certain that he was a thinking being" (235). Though Descartes conclusion is somewhat simplistic, it is at the same time complex. As humans we should all question what we are and find the reasoning behind it, but most of us don't. Descartes made me realize that we shouldn't just accept what we are, but that we must find reasoning to make it true within ourselves.

Descartes also changed my views on why/how God exists. As opposed to other theories, I liked and understood his most. I'd never given much thought about who or what God is before this. Basically, Descartes explains that because every human has instilled within them the idea of "perfect," God must exist, because that idea could have only originated from a "perfect" God. I like Descartes way of thinking here. Again, it is somewhat simplistic, but it makes sense to me, and I appreciate that.

Descartes perception of reality is interesting. He is a dualist and therefore believes in two forms of reality: thought/mind and extension/matter. Before Descartes, I hadn't considered two different realities, nor did I really consider "reality" in general. However, Descartes explains that it comes in two forms. Thought is within one's mind and is not tangible. It takes up no room in space and can therefore not be broken into smaller parts. However, matter, the other form of reality, does take up room in space and can be broken down into smaller parts. Descartes believes that God created these two substances, but they don't have contact with each other. From Descartes, I see a better distinction between thought and matter. I'm happy that man is both, because with with our bodies and minds, we can achieve a better sense of reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment