Thursday, April 21, 2011

Best of Week: Consilience Quote

While reading Consilience, I came upon a quote about the arts that I liked very much. Wilson states that, "The defining quality of the arts is the expression of the human condition by mood and feeling, calling into play all the senses, evoking both order and disorder" (232).

Upon reading this, I thought about how well-put this statement was; I was very calmed, almost, by it. The arts tend to be very confusing, open ended, and personal (very much like the human mind). So, finding something that gives the arts a "defining quality" is very settling and comforting, to me anyway.

Without a doubt, the arts express the human condition; especially after studying modernism and postmodernism, it is evident that art represents time periods and the human condition of the era. I'm also fascinated by this quote because it understands that art plays on all parts of someone- upon viewing a new work of art, I am always amazed by the emotions it may evoke. Artwork is very personal, and it therefore has various effects on those who view it. The great thing about it, is that it doesn't matter how a work of art makes one feel. There's no right or wrong in that, no set answer.

Next time I see a new work of art, I'll definitely remember this quote. It has further clarified my views on the arts, and for that I am thankful (if one can be thankful to a quote). It also makes me consider why some people try to over interpret art, and thus kill it. Often, it's best to interpret art to some extent, for one's own purposes, but at some point, one must realize that there is actually no universal answer.

Some art may make someone sick, while it makes another joyful; art is an intimate experience that utilizes all the senses and has the ability to bring out all sorts of random emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment