Friday, May 13, 2011

iMedia: Symphony of Science

A couple weeks ago, my cousin and I were discussing our love for Carl Sagan. After awhile, he told me about a website called symphonyofscience.com. This awesome site features various music videos that have to do with science and philosophy. Not only do these videos have catchy beats, they are super educational and interesting. They feature people like Sagan (obviously), Stephen Hawking, Jill Bolte Taylor, Richard Feynman, and various other intellectuals.

In my opinion, these videos are excellent. They can serve as alternative learning methods in school settings when lectures get too boring (and they most often do). From past experience, I've seen that Powerpoint lectures aren't always effective. Stuff like this, though, has the ability to make people want to learn. These videos have so much to offer. Also, they combine different intellectuals into the same video, which I believe is a great idea, because we can better see connections and variations in their thought processes.

These videos are a lot like humanities... I think it's amazing that someone decided to combine their knowledge of both science and music and proceed to create a bunch of science and philosophy music videos. I think this "alternative" idea is a great one.Viewing these videos makes me think about other ways to make sometimes boring subjects more interesting and entertaining. Upon that, there are so many ways to improve our learning and thinking, and this is only one of them. So, it seems only appropriate to end with an inspiring quote from Carl...

"A still more glorious dawn awaits" (Sagan).


No comments:

Post a Comment