Saturday, October 23, 2010

Carry It Forward: The Shadow Catcher

The Shadow Catcher presented many interesting ideas, but the one that I found most alluring was that of the Vision Quest. Wiggins explains in the novel that it was a ritual that Navajo Indians used to do: "Each man would leave the tribe on his vision quest at the beginning of adulthood, only to return, again, as part of the tribe, once he had experienced the vision, specific to himself, of his spiritual identity" (312). She then goes on to say that any human, no matter when they lived, takes their quest for understanding to the source and live by it. Basically put, the Navajo are not the only ones who take vision quests; every one does.

I enjoy the idea of the vision quest. The concept of going on a journey, searching through one's soul, and finding understanding is appealing to me, and probably to many others, as well. This concept is valuable because it allows one to live more clearly and profoundly for the rest of his/ her life. If one understands his/her self, then life's challenges will be less difficult for him/her, and life's pleasures will be more enjoyable. Therefore, finding one's identity is very beneficial. I like to consider it this way: to understand oneself is to understand the world.

I hope that one day in the near future, I will take my vision quest. I realize that it does not have to be a month long or a half year journey. I think it might even have the ability to happen in a day or a week. I'm not sure yet where I will go on my vision quest, but I know that it will be a mind altering experience that will solidify my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment