Friday, October 29, 2010

iMedia: Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y
Home- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

At the beginning of this past summer, I heard this song for the first time on stereomood.com. Stereomood is an excellent site that creates playlists for songs that fit into specific categories, like chillout and psychedelic. The great thing about Stereomood is that the playlists change often, always adding new songs. So, when I came back from Costa Rica at the end of the summer, my favorite song from Stereomood had disappeared and I just could not recall the name of it or the artists who sang it. I searched through thousands of songs, hoping that a name might jump out at me, but I found nothing. I was deeply saddened and aggravated by this... all I wanted was to hear my favorite song, and I just wasn't capable of finding it. And then a miracle occurred:

A couple of weeks ago, I was discussing music with a friend. I told her about my situation, and I tried to describe the bits and pieces that I could remember from my mystery song. AND SHE KNEW IT! We listened to the song on Youtube together, and I was so excited and amazed, I thought I might burst.

So... why am I entirely enthralled by and in love with this song? For starters, this song is unusual. A man and a woman sing it together, and at one part they have an actual conversation... and it's funny! They are successfully able to recount a real story, which only makes me love the song more. I also appreciate the sounds in this song. There is lots of whistling, and I adore that. Overall, the noises that this song makes pleases my ears to no end.

This piece is significant not only because of its beautiful sounds, but because of its message as well. The song basically reinstates that old saying, "home is where the heart is." Wherever these two characters go together, whenever they go, and whenever they're alone, they're home. Each one holds the others heart. As long as these two lovers are together, they feel home.

I think it's important for today's society to remember the power of love. People, especially Americans, tend to get wrapped up in their busy, meaningless lives at work and they forget how to love. They set it aside and don't realize that they're missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures. Home only reassures the fact that yes, one does need to experience love.

These two people in this song feel real. Their love is fierce, fun, and beautiful. I hope that other people can listen to this piece, and realize its strength and happiness and loveliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment